Friday, April 2, 2010

Autism Awareness.

1 in every 110 children is diagnosed with autism. Not only is that true, but 1 in every 70 boys is diagnosed. That means that right now over 1.5 million individuals in the United States alone are affected by Autism Spectrum Disorder.

I work with children who are on the autism spectrum on a regular basis. I talk to and know their families. And I also know that most people who do not have autism or know someone who has it do not truly understand what it is and how deeply it affects the lives of these people.

The prevalence of ASD is growing and while more is known about it now, there is still a lot more that needs to be learned. Society needs to be made more aware of what exactly it means for the individuals who have it and for the people close to them.

April is Autism Awareness Month. Today is Autism Awareness Day. I am wearing blue for autism awareness, and I encourage you to do the same. I also encourage you to go to the Autism Speaks website and learn more about ASD. These individuals need your support - not your funny looks or comments. Please take the time to become more informed so that you can better understand what autism is.

Thank you.
Steph :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...